While every living room has its own unique design challenges, here are five surefire ways to bring your space from ordinary to amazing.
1. Right-size the area rug. As designers, one of the most common mistakes we see is an area rug that is too small. Claiming the majority of the room’s real estate with a right-sized rug will increase both the sense of spaciousness and comfort.
2. Incorporate plush comfortable seating. We often specify tight-back upholstery which, when perfectly pitched, is as surprisingly comfortable as those with loose-back cushions, Plus, tight-backs don’t need to be constantly fluffed to look their best.
3. Optimize scale and placement of furniture. Capitalize on best views and focal points, like a fireplace. Create conversation zones with comfortable distance between seating – far enough for personal space while close enough to chat with ease.
4. Mix for interest. Soft velvets juxtapose with smooth stone. Include a variety of furniture silhouettes that range from classic to modern. Accessorize with books and objects that have meaning. Fresh flowers plucked straight from the garden add ever-changing life and bring nature’s beauty indoors.
5. Personalize with art. Nothing transforms a space like good art. If you are lucky enough to have tall ceilings, take advantage of the vertical with a large-scale single work, or consider a salon-style gallery wall with multiple pieces.
No matter how simple or grand, may you be nourished and inspired by your environment every day.
Photography by Read McKendree